Installing ActiveGo on Windows
Windows is the only supported platform for the beta release of ActiveGo. macOS and Linux will be supported in future releases.
Before you begin
Ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements before you start the installation. The ActiveGo 1.8 Beta release has the following requirements:
- Windows 64-bit (amd64); Windows 7, or later
- The installation requires at least 1.5 GB of hard drive space
Existing Go installations
The ActiveGo installer will automatically detect if another release of Go is installed by looking for existing GOROOT and GOPATH environment variables. If either variable is found, the installer will warn you about the existing installation and ask you if you want to continue.
We recommend that you uninstall any existing Go installations before installing ActiveGo. If this is not possible, ensure that you take the following precautions when completing a side-by-side installation:
- Choose a directory name for ActiveGo that will not conflict with your existing installation.
- Ensure that the installer will not overwrite any of your existing Go directories.
- Remove the PATH and environment variables associated with any existing Go installations.
- Set GOROOT to location where ActiveGo is installed, and rename any existing GOROOT to OLD_GOROOT our Go installation location
- Set the GOPATH relative to our GOROOT, and rename any existing GOPATH to OLD_GOPATH>
- Add the ActiveGo
go/bindirectory to the start of your PATH environment variable to ensure that the ActiveGo executable is used on the command line.
Accessing remote source control repositories
If you need to access projects located in remote repositories using the
go get command, you need to install the appropriate command line tools for the repository.
You can find the appropriate tools for Git, Subversion, Mercurial, and Bazaar here: https://github.com/golang/go/wiki/GoGetTools
A missing error message indicates that required tools are not installed. For example:
go: missing Git command
Installing ActiveGo using the Windows installer
- Download the ActiveGo installer (
- When the download completes, double-click
ActiveGo-<version>.exeto start the installation process.
- Follow the prompts on screen to complete the installation.
If you uninstall ActiveGo using the Setup Wizard or Add or Remove Programs, the installer removes the GOROOT and GOPATH values set by the ActiveGo setup wizard,
and removes the
go/bin directory from your PATH. It does not reset any of these settings to the previous values set by an earlier installation.
You will need to restore these values manually. If you had GOPATH and GOROOT environment varibles set when you installed ActiveGO,
they are are still available as OLD_GOPATH and OLD_GOROOT and can be restored by renaming them back to GOPATH and GOROOT.