Welcome, and thank you for using ActivePerl. This is ActivePerl 184.108.40.2065 This release corresponds to Perl version 5.22.4. ActivePerl is ActiveState’s complete and ready-to-install distribution of Perl. It provides a one-step installation of all essential Perl modules, and extensive documentation.
ActivePerl is ActiveState’s quality-assured binary build of Perl. The latest Windows, Linux, and macOS 64-bit builds are available for free to the community.
If you need a supported 32-bit or another older/legacy version, you can access it through the ActiveState Platform by subscribing to the Team Tier, Business Tier, or Enterprise Tier.
For more information, see the ActivePerl download page.
- The binary core distribution of perl.
- A set of useful additional CPAN modules “out of the box”.
- The Perl Package Manager, for quick and easy install of additional Perl extension modules. See ppm for details.
NOTE: PPM is being phased out as ActiveState moves forward with a new and improved solution for Perl package management across all platforms. While PPM has been included in all versions of ActivePerl up to and including version 5.26, the number of modules with which it worked has steadily declined. As a result, starting with ActivePerl 5.28, PPM modules are no longer available.
That doesn’t mean that you’re out in the cold when it comes to installing Perl modules. Until ActiveState fully rolls out its new solution, you can (as always) use CPAN to install any additional modules you require into your ActivePerl runtime.
For more information, read the blog post.
General Installation Notes
- Version Numbers: The first three numbers of an ActivePerl release correspond to the core Perl version. The fourth number is the ActivePerl build number, which may be followed by a fifth number that specifies a modified build for ActivePerl Enterprise. For example, this release of ActivePerl is 220.127.116.114, which corresponds to Perl 5.22.3.
- Binary Incompatibility: ActivePerl 2200 series builds (Perl 5.22) are not binary-compatible with the 2000 (Perl 5.20), and older series builds. In particular, do not attempt to use extensions or PPM packages built for an older series builds with ActivePerl 2200 series builds and vice versa.
Side-by-Side x64 and x86 Installation: On 64 bit operating systems which support 32 bit compatibility, both x86 and x64 versions of ActivePerl can be installed on the same system as long as they are installed in separate directories. The Windows MSI installer will suggest the following default directories to keep them separate:
- Windows x64:
- Windows x86:
Other installers will not suggest a platform-specific default install directory. You must specify a unique installation directory manually.
- Windows x64:
Try Komodo IDE
Komodo IDE is ActiveState’s multi-language, cross-platform integrated development environment that features powerful editing and debugging support for Python.
NEW Komodo IDE is now free to use with an ActiveState Platform account on any free or paid tier.
Komodo IDE’s features include:
- Integration with the ActiveState Platform
- Version control
- Graphical debugging
- Package manager integration
- Multi-language syntax checking and highlighting
- Docker and Vagrant integration
- Gulp, Grunt, Cordova/Phonegap integration
- Chrome remote debugging
- Unit testing
- Code intelligence
- Code profiling
- Code collaboration for team development
The latest documentation for all ActiveState languages, including ActivePerl, is available at docs.activestate.com . Many other Perl resources and general information about Perl at ActiveState is available here .