Installing ActiveTcl for macOS
- 50 MB for the final install
- macOS 10.7 (Lion) or later
- Intel processor or compatible
ActiveTcl is distributed on macOS as a disk image (.dmg) file. The disk image contains an installer package (.pkg) bundle that installs ActiveTcl.
- Download the ActiveTcl disk image (
- If the browser does not automatically mount the disk image and open the mounted folder in Finder, double-click
ActiveTcl-<version>-<platform>.dmgto do so.
- Double-click the ActiveTcl installer package (
ActiveTcl-<version>.pkg) to start the installation.
- Follow the Installer prompts. The installer will ask for administrative authentication if the current user does not have administrative privileges.
- After installation is complete, you may eject the ActiveTcl disk image and move
ActiveTcl-<version>-<platform>.dmgto the Trash. macOS includes a non-interactive command line interface to Apple’s Installer. To install the ActiveTcl Apple installer from the command line:
$ sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/ActiveTcl-<version>/ActiveTcl-<version>.pkg -target /
More information on the command line interface to Installer can be found in its man page.
ActiveTcl executables (
tkcon) are installed in
/usr/local/bin. If this directory is not in the user’s PATH environment variable, it can be added manually to the
.bash_ profile file in the user’s home directory. For example:
PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH export PATH
Run the uninstall script provided by ActiveTcl and installed under
/Library/Receipts/ActiveTcl-<version>/Contents/Resources/uninstall. This will remove all files, symbolic links and directories created during installation, after the user has confirmed his intentions. For example:
$ cd /Library/Receipts/ActiveTcl-<version>/Contents/Resources $ sudo ./uninstall ... List of files, links, etc. which are removed ...
Note: On Snow Leopard and higher the uninstall script is installed under
/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Versions/<version>/Resources/Scripts/uninstall instead. Apple reorganized the directories for receipt storage and eliminated any space for 3rd-party files from it.