Welcome, and thank you for using ActivePerl. This is ActivePerl 18.104.22.1683 This release corresponds to Perl version 5.24.2. ActivePerl is ActiveState’s ready-to-install quality-assured binary build of Perl. It provides a one-step installation of all essential Perl modules, and extensive documentation.
ActivePerl is available on several operating systems:
- Windows/x86 and Windows/x64
- macOS (Universal build)
- Linux/x86 and Linux/x86_64
- Solaris SPARC and x86
For more information, see the ActivePerl download page.
- The binary core distribution of perl. See perl for details.
- A set of useful additional CPAN modules “out of the box”.
- The Perl Package Manager (PPM), for quick and easy install of additional Perl extension modules. See Using PPM for details.
- Complete documentation in HTML format. This is found in the
htmlsubdirectory where ActivePerl was installed.
General Installation Notes
- Version Numbers: The first three numbers of an ActivePerl release correspond to the core Perl version. The fourth number is the ActivePerl build number, which may be followed by a fifth number that specifies a modified build for ActivePerl Enterprise. For example, this release of ActivePerl is 22.214.171.1242, which corresponds to Perl 5.24.1.
- Binary Incompatibility: ActivePerl 2400 series builds (Perl 5.24) are not binary-compatible with the 2200 (Perl 5.22), and older series builds. In particular, do not attempt to use extensions or PPM packages built for an older series builds with ActivePerl 1800 series builds and vice versa.
- Side-by-Side x64 and x86 Installation: On 64 bit
operating systems which support 32 bit compatibility, both x86 and x64
versions of ActivePerl can be installed on the same system as long as they are
installed in separate directories. The Windows MSI installer will suggest the
following default directories to keep them separate:
- Windows x64:
- Windows x86:
- Windows x64:
Other installers will not suggest a platform-specific default install directory. You must specify a unique installation directory manually.
Try Komodo IDE
Komodo IDE is ActiveState’s multi-language, cross-platform integrated development environment that features powerful editing and debugging support for Perl. Try a free evaluation .
Komodo IDE’s features include:
- Version control
- Graphical debugging
- Package manager integration
- Multi-language syntax checking and highlighting
- Docker and Vagrant integration
- Gulp, Grunt, Cordova/Phonegap integration
- Chrome remote debugging
- Unit testing
- Code intelligence
- Code profiling
- Code collaboration for team development
The latest documentation for all ActiveState languages, including ActivePerl, is available at docs.activestate.com . Many other Perl resources and general information about Perl at ActiveState is available here .