Working with passwords
When you create an account on the ActiveState Platform, you will be prompted to select a password. Your password is used to protect access to your account from unauthorized users. Learn how to select a strong password, and how to change and reset a password from your Account Settings page.
Best practices when choosing a password
- Use a minimum of 12 characters and a maximum of 64 characters. Special characters ("!@#$”) are permitted.
- Do not include common phrases (“admin”, “password”, etc.)
- Do not include context-specific words (“ActiveState”, “Platform”, or your username)
- Do not use repeated or sequential characters ( “aaaaa”, “12345”, “qwerty”)
- Use a password manager that follows a secure policy to store your password.
- Change your password regularly. Every 90 days is recommended.
- Use two factor authentication when possible
Changing your password
- Click the menu at the top right of the page that displays your username, and select Account Settings.
- Click the Change Password link to go to the Change Password page.
- Enter the current password you sign in with in Current Password.
- Enter your new password in New Password and Confirm New Password.
- Click Save Changes.
If your password is successfully changed a notice is displayed, and the next time you access the Platform you will need to sign in with your new password.
Resetting your password
From the Change Password page
- Click Forgot your password?
- You will be prompted to enter the email address associated with your account into the “Your email” field.
- Enter the email address associated with your account and click Send Reset Link.
- Check your email inbox for a message with the subject line: “Reset your ActiveState password” and click the password reset link.
- Enter your new password, then enter it again in the Confirm Password text box, and click Reset Password.